Celebrating Environmental Education
Want to help our visitors fill their brains with tons of cool knowledge related to birds, the Bird Center, and how to better protect our environment? Docents help the Bird Center’s Education Team to personally interact with as many visitors as possible by answering visitor questions, leading tours and other programs, and assisting with community outreach events. Docents help to bridge the gap between our visitors and our work, but most importantly they also help to excite and empower our visitors to become fellow birding ambassadors.
- Answer visitor questions
- Lead small tour groups through the facilities
- Assist the Education Coordinator with educational outreach event and programs
- Occasionally check that exhibits appear to be in proper working order
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the Bird Center and it’s exhibits including the Exploration Wing at Mission Wild Bird and the residential birds at the Sanctuary.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Education Coordinator.
- Able / Willing to converse with visitors of the Bird Center
- Ability to walk throughout the Wild Bird Sanctuary and Mission Wild Bird Visitor Center while teaching visitors.
- General knowledge of Florida Keys ecosystems and wildlife is preferred, but not required.
Docents are trained onsite by the Education Coordinator and are self-trained offsite as required. Initial training sessions take between forty-five minutes to an hour. Retraining is available when requested. Docents are periodically evaluated by the Education Coordinator.
Docents are scheduled for four-hour shifts in the morning (8:00am – 12:00pm) or afternoon (12:00pm – 4:00pm) at both of our location. Docents are expected to log at least eight hours of service each month.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.keepthemflying.org/volunteer-application/ →